Sunday 4 January 2009

Boot Fair Finds

I know I have babbled on before about my love of JUNK but still I wanted to share my finds of the day. You see it has been several weeks since our last outing and I was going through a little bit of withdrawal so despite the 28 degree icy weather Rene and I decided we had to go to the boot fairs. Today we invited our friend Wendy and we three brought along our teenage daughters for the adventure. It was a virtual gold mind of goodies!!!!

My first find was a rather strange one...Rene picked it up first but when she decided to pass on it I was more than thrilled to pick it up. I am not completely certain of how it is meant to be used but its heavy iron so I wonder if it isn't meant to be outdoors...I am going to hang it on a wall with two decorative candles. Not bad for 2 pounds! ($2.90)


My second find of the day is pretty incredible..it is an A.G. Thornton Architecture Set. The outside of the case is in excellent condition although the tools have some rusting...which looks far worse in the picture. When I clean them up I will have to check closer for a date mark on them but I have found the Thornton markings!!! And Guess what it cost me....NO REALLY YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT!!! 5 POUNDS!!! ($7.25)


The third item is a little strange..and I know some people will be possibly shocked or "weirded out" by it but I got this amazingly detailed Opium pipe! It is absolutely gorgeous!! and I got it for 3 pounds ($4.36)


So this one will blow you out of the water! Positive it will! I came across this guy with three beautiful clocks...they need some work but nothing too major and they are so beautiful! One of them is very unusual in shape and style..I was scared to even as the price..Now this is AWESOME! I got these two clocks for 5 pounds! Not five each but 5 pounds total!! That is two gorgeous clocks for about $7.25!!!!



Finally I found two books...The first is called "A Lost Leader" by Dorothea Townsend. It is a beautiful Hardbound edition with onion or vellum paper still in place throughout the book protecting the lovely illustrations. I haven't found the print date but it does have a placard in the front that says "Awarded to George Lloyd Christmas 1902 J.C Dowsa Vicar."





The second I am especially excited about..It is called "The Lamplighter" by Miss Cummins. Now many people would have heard of this as it has been reprinted by Lamplighter publishing. The book was originally written in 1854 but I don't think this is a first edition as it says "New edition" in the cover. However it also has a placard this one reading "Albany Road Baptist Church Sunday School, A prize awarded to Stanley Jermine for punctual attendance and good behavior during this year 1904." It is signed by a superintendent and secretary but I can't read the names. Now these books only cost me 1 pound for the both of them! ($1.45) and are both ingreat condition with solid binding and no loose pages!!!




After the boot fair (Where I only spent 17 pounds 16 on junk and 1 on hot chocolate) we had a lovely lunch at a local pub and spent a few hours letting the girls rummage around Primark (discount clothing store) before heading home. Needless to say it was a lovely LOVELY day!

0 comments: